Saturday, August 1, 2009

A View of the Sky

Recent high school graduate

A shopping mall

After a thunderstorm has passed

Reminiscing on how things have changed

The assignment was to use the character/ place/ thoughts/ etc. and write a short story around what was provided. I decided not to plan it out at all, not that i usually do, and to just see what happened. this is what happened. 

You know how the sky is after a huge thunderstorm. The clouds drift in their own directions, splitting the sky, and surrounding everything with a deep blue glow. Sometimes it looks as if heaven were opening up right in front of you. I wish I could be sucked up into it, heaven I mean. Not that I want to die and go up there, but the sky just looks so inviting, as if a pair of arms is about to reach out and grab me to bring me up, and I wish they would. I could stare up at a sky like that for hours, just waiting hopefully for those arms. Well its one of those nights tonight. But I’ve decided to not waste my time staring at the sky, since those arms have never showed themselves, although once I swear I saw an arm hair glittering off the sun. So instead, I’ve stuck myself somewhere where I can't even be tempted by the sky and all its temptations. I’m sitting in shopping mall, specifically in the food court. I often worry about the people who willingly decide to go to shopping malls. No silence or peace, all chaos and commotion. No privacy or space, and definitely no fresh air. Every other corner smells like crappy Chinese food samplings or receipt ink. And there’s never a view of the sky. I’m here because I'm worried that if I'm anywhere with a view of the sky, I might just attempt at jumping into it. After all these years of temptation I’ve been able to hold back, but its getting harder and harder. Especially now that I have nowhere else to go. Well, that’s not completely true. I’m not homeless or a runaway. I have a job (part time) but since graduating high school (as of two weeks) and still not having any idea what I'm doing with my life now, jumping into the sky sounds like one of my best options. I guess it’s a bit of a hyperbole to say that malls have no view of the sky. I just realized that I've sat myself under one of the few skylights in the food court here. I guess no matter how hard I try to separate myself from temptation, the sky will always find me. On the other hand, I'm the one who sat down here, so maybe I'm the one who’s always finding the sky. 

No comments:

Post a Comment